Thursday 13 August 2015

I AM HAUNTED AND I SEEK TO BE LIBERATED

Why are they staring at me? why? Is it because of I look different or is it because I am wearing shorts? Is it because I have got chinky eyes and I am short? Is it because I am walking with a guy or a bunch of guys? Is it because my bra strap is coming out? Is it because I am wearing a skirt? Why? Why are they staring at me when I walk on the dusty streets of my locality? They see me every day for I take the same road but why do they still stare at me? I hate these stares , the male gaze of men and women on the streets, they scan me from top to bottom. Am I really that fascinating that they can't take their eyes off me? Or am I so pathetic to have them staring with sympathy? But, is that really sympathy? Sometimes I even wonder if I am an alien to them? Do I look human to them? What is that they keep staring at? Not just me, I feel my friends go through the same experience. But why? I have friends advising me not to wear shorts, that they stare at me because of the way I dress, but one evening while i was out with a friend and i was dressed in full-length, a sarong with a t-shirt. Yet an uncle chided me that I wasn't wearing proper clothes.So now how do you define proper clothes? Are there any clothes that are entitled as PROPER CLOTHES? Tell me or my friends, if there are? Or tell me why is it so cool for guys to wear shorts and not for girls? Are we not humans too? Yes, I am tired how these creepy me on the streets stare at me! Don't they have any other job than just sitting besides the pavements and teasing the girls passing by? What's wrong with them? I have friends who tell me not to wear skirts and sleeveless shirts, that men are aroused by them but why is it that women don't get aroused when men walk on the streets wearing shorts and spaghetti? Are we not humans to also have desires? Why do only men get aroused? Why? Probably, the answer would be that women have less desires but tell me why do these men lack ethics? Tell me why is it considered so unethical for women wearing shorts when it's so okay for men and even okay to show their dicks around? Why? Why moral values are enforced on women more or women only? Why do people have so much problem with women's behaviour? Why can't people look at women as humans and as equals? If women are considered humans then why can't we be treated equally? Nothing more, nothing less, just equals? I don't know if i am going insane or or mad but these questions keep coming to me all the time, over and over. These unanswered questions keep haunting me and I seek to be liberated from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment